Re: Faire rhizome (pause/non-pause)

On Wed, 6 Apr 1994, CJ Stivale wrote:

> passing to looking for some contextualizing of D&Gs works. I didn't respond
> back then, but besides Ron Bogue's _D&G_, there's Sherry Turkle's _Psychonana-
> lytic French Politics_ (out in a new edition recently, I believe).

The new edition of the Turkle added an introduction and a final chapter
which are must-reads: the former quoting soccer stars as insisting on
Lacanian analysis (i.e. demonstrating the vast dissemination of the
practice across class and professional boundaries) and the latter
providing details of the ongoing internal soap of J-A Miller's assumption
of the authority to speak for "Lacan". Eribon's bio of Foucault also has
some good detail. I haven't looked at Althusser's new tell-all (not)
autobog but it may be useful as well. Also, Clement's Weary Sons of Freud
may be of interest.

Meanwhile:
1969, Vincennes-Paris VIII -- "Like a tightrope walker with intense gaze,
Deleuze each week faced an audience so compact that the little room where
he spoke seemed drowned in the vapors of some Turkish bath. Febrile,
exalted, and always tolerant, he formulated his thoughts in the manner of
some singing madman who would have chosen his melodies from Debussy and
his libretto from Charles Trenet: an opera for one voice.
"Enthralled by the spectacle, the students listened with a kind
of tenderness in which curiosity for an inovative discourse fused with
attraction to a singular style.... [F]or the first time, Freudianism and
Lacanianism were being 'grilled' together at the very edge of their most
significant innovations." Roudinesco, Lacan & Co., 495.

I just picked this up, haven't read it (but have seen quotes circulating
on the net about Lacan getting his nails done during sessions!). There are
some pages on La Borde as well which add what you could call "color".

-jfr