Re: deleuze-guattari-digest V2 #336

Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:17:39 GMT
From: "Chris McMahon" <pharmakeus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Impro

"Its funny what one person thinks is a trap, another thinks is an escape. For
example - if someone says that its best just to get a camera and take photos
(don't learn anything about photography - it'll just poison you as an
artist) they say they are *escaping*. Whereas I see just a sad old trap. Who
is to say?"

hate to peer in on a conversation I haven't been following, but this is a
funny metaphor for me at least. I used to have a photographer teacher
who hated me cuz I didn't study any photographers or photographic
methodologies i just took (usually bad) pictures and developed them
in weird ways (at the time I knew of Man Ray, but not Sigmar Polke
who has truly taken the print in other directions). anyways needless
to say this extended into other
facets of my life also. however these days i find that knowing the
history or tradation of an art form (at the very least) is actually
kinda liberating. You grow out of knowledge or expand (revise) upon
it in lieu of it imprisoning you. Although what the context that information
creates does to you is a whole other matter.

anyways thats my say on the matter
ALJ