Re: BwO/Socius

Chris Help!

Your explanation seems to jump past my question: "What is a socius?" (Thanks for
taking the time to reply though, I do really appreciate it.) Perhaps I don't have
enough information yet (or don't properly understand what information I DO have!?!) to
understand your answer.

I've been noting every occurrence of the term body without organs as I read AO and
with each occurrence its meaning seems to get broader and more vague. Initially it
seemed tied specifically to the disjunctive synthesis. It seemed to be the surface
upon which the partial object connections made by the connective synth were recorded.
It acted in opposition to production as anti production. It broke existing
connections and allowed new ones to be made.

D&G "...establish a parallel between desiring production and social production" for
the purpose of pointing "...out the fact that the forms of social production, like
those of desiring production, involve an unengendered nonproductive attitude, an
element of anti production coupled with the process, a full body that functions as a
socius." (AO pg. 10)

!!Disclaimer!! the following statement/s is/are (a) question/s.

I interpret desiring production as the work of the unconscious of an individual
and social production as a group activity. The BwO is (an agent of?) anti production
"... which can prevent any organ-ization from becoming fixed." (Holland, pg. 29) In
the previous quote, the terms anti production and socius are linked in such a way as
to lead me to believe the socius works in some way LIKE a BwO. Is this because it has
one?

Later in the book : "To code desire -- and fear, the anguish of decoded flows-- is the
business of the socius." (AO pg 139)

"A society is a dissapative structure with is own determining tension between a
limitative body without organs and a nonlimitative one. Together, in their
interaction they are called a "socius" (the abstract machine of society)." (Massumi pg
75) Together in their interaction a limitative body without organs and a
non-limitative one are called a socius?

My confusion should be positively radiant!

Regards,

Doug