Re: Go and chess

hi Chris,
i,ve never played it other but i think the key is value accrued in
movement-a related example-Jake-( son) had one of those fantasy games where
you build all the pieces and lay them out in particular territories (board
supplied) its already got coded rules etc but he and his mates were soon
bored with this and moved the game out of its board rules and played it
around the house and garden-all the rules and borders changed in movent
untill the pieces had no discernible fixed values but accrued them in
situe-still treading on the damn things!
ciao
Ruth.C

>>> Chris <egordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/01 8:00 am >>>
I've never playeD Go either. A friend has the game and from what I can
gather
it's just an open board and unmarked (although no doubt differentiated by
colour?) pieces. Deleuze says it's pure strategy, I think. My assumption
is
that the aim is to surround opponents pieces, but I'm not sure that I'm not
just
remembering something else - that kind of game.
I was wondering, on reading the chapter, if those little tricks that people
do
with coins are a different example - you can only move one or two to make a
particular shape, or you have to make a shape by moving the coins while they
always meet two others (something like that)- they always sound so easy, but
take
a bit of working out - no doubt this is a smaller scale, but it remains
uncoded,
in that the move is a relation in space - making several unmarked/coded
pieces
operate towards a goal (winning the game/ working out the puzzle-trick)???
Where
Chess would be more like a card trick - perhaps? The pieces in the game are
coded????
I'm not sure if this makes sense.
I think the differentiation is in the coding of the tools used to play the
game.
I think it's interesting to note that there seems to be another game played
among
chess players (and poker) that becomes gestural - doesn't this work as a
kind of
attempt to deterritorialize - bluff the openent into not looking properly at
the
board - diverting attention etc.. Would this 'other' game be the body
without
organs of the chess game (as event)??? ( just a thought...)