Re: Go and chess

hi,

maybe i can explain the games rudimentaries (dont mind the english - im
polish-austrian and not used to ..):

the goal of Go ist to obtain territory. it ends, when both players agree,
there is no move to do, which will not shorten each territory (buts thats
no random-choice of course). there are three basic rules: 1)place the
stones (they cannot be move, though removed when captured/killed). 2)rule
of freedom(s), which say that each stone (or stone-chain) has freedomes
according to the horizontal and vertical space around it, so a singe stone
somewhere in the middle of the board has a basic amount of "freedoms" of
four (up, down, left right"). when a "friendly" stone is placed on one of
this free spaces, they make chain and have a total amount of freedoms of
six, and so on. alternatly, enemy stones reduce freedoms and when theres
no on left, the stone (the chain) ist captured and taken from the board.
3) a territory lives, when its was a minimum of two free "eyes" i.e. free
seperated spaces, because by that the territory cannot run out of freedoms
with one single move from the enemy. there ist another "addon" rule,
which discribes a "ko", situation, without explaining the details its
necessary to dispend infinit regresses in capturing single stones.

so what? what is emphasized in thousand plateaus, the guerilla aspekt of
the game is that U can place stones in every place on the board (which
nota bene is a chinese metaphor for the sky), U can place it in enemy
territory as well, the only point is, to make an territory with two eyes
("living territory"). D/G mention Mao playing Go, too. its in every step
full of uncertainy, stones which seem dead or captured already, can kill
enemy territory per occasion. basically, U try to get first hand, that
means that U decide where to play on the board, and U can do so, when U do
not have to make "safety" moves somewhere else to make your territory
stable there first. sometime U have to sacrifice some stones, and so on.
in general, the situation on the whole board is much more to peel on,
than on single "micro" fights, not opposite to chess though, but there is
a bigger emphasize on formation, also because there are far more moves to
choose from.

maybe that helps a bit, please tell if U need to know more,
bye,
boryz