Re: BWO

re:meters, james brown etc.
i think the really important distinction to be made is between meter and
rhythm. black musical culture has consistently attacked the apparatus of
capture that is the metric musical form. particularly breakbeat culture
which emerges out of jazz/funk drumming. more significantly than that,
the subsequent ability to transport the break with use of sampling into
hip-hop and now jungle which has done most, in a digital culture, to
destratify the body, and sidestep the cultural snobbery/pessimism of
postmodernism ('nothing new left to do'). check for example the essay by
robin mackay, Capitalism & Schizophrenia:wildstyle in effect, in the
edited collection, Deleuze & Philosophy (ed Keith Ansell-Pearson) and
the work coming out of the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit.

In message <01BD056E.CF2E4760@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Richard Scott
<richard.scott@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes

--
steve goodman