MP Reading Group - 1st Assignment & Administrivia (fwd)

Forwarded message:
>From MCURRENT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mon Feb 21 10:49:37 1994
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 10:38:25 -0600 (CST)
From: "Michael J. Current" <MCURRENT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: MP Reading Group - 1st Assignment & Administrivia

Summary for those of you who are too weary to read this post, though I
really hope you will - We are getting underway. Please start reading
with "Introduction: Rhizome" and try to be ready to discuss, or at least
follow discussion, by roughly a week from today.

Hi,

1.) (A Personal Note) Sorry for taking soooooooo long to get things
underway. I have just not been well. Friday it was finally determined
that I have diabetes (along with everything else). Not very happy news,
but at least it is no longer a mystery and treatment can begin. At the
same time, my anti-depressant medication has stopped working, as tends
to happen frequently to me (Sigh). Changes will be made this week - if
there are any left to be made - and that also tends to be very taxing.

PLEASE, bear with me, and if I miss my own deadlines, understand
that my life is going through some serious adjustment just now. . . .

(I can't tell you how odd I feel discussing this here. I'm
afraid there are no good schizoanalytic practitioners here in Iowa.
Perhaps we should all gather at La Borde. . . .)

2.) From your responses, I gather that an initial reading of
"Introduction: Rhizome" is acceptable to folks. That is fine with me.
*****YOU SHOULD START READING "RHIZOME" AS SOON AS YOU CAN.******

3.) Over the course of the next week or so, I will be posting a variety
of quotations from Deleuze and perhaps from some commentators about
"philosophy," reading, and the relationship between between the two
parts of _Capitalism and Schizophrenia_. Hopefully these will stimulate
some discussion. . . .

*****To start, I will set a goal of having completed my work and posted
my notes on "Rhizome" by one week from today. If this proves too slow
or fast a pace, we can adjust from there. If you have questions or
things you want to share as you are reading along, jump right in and
post them.***** (Thanks, Mark Zamierowski, for jumping in already!)

I've never done such an on-line reading group before, so I don't know
exactly what my notes can/will contain. . . . Suggestions?

4.) PLEASE put MP at the beginning of the subject header in all posts
related to the reading group, o.k.? I don't think I am likely to miss
any Deleuze group posting, but I get tons of email, and want to be sure
I see yours. It will be helpful for others as ell.

5.) If you intend to do the reading, or even to *try* to do so, please
drop me a note by PRIVATE E-MAIL. It need contain no more than the word
"yes." I just want to get a sense of how many people are feeling like
participating at this point.

6.) So far, there have been NO volunteers to post notes or reflections
on the reading along with me. I am willing to conduct a monologue for a
while if necessary, but come on, I know at least one of you can
do it.

If you are feeling intimidated, please note three things: a.) I'm
intimidated, too. b.) This book intimidates *everyone*, including
seasoned Deleuze scholars. c.) ******We are going to view this book
the way Deleuze makes it quite clear he intended - as an "open" text
containing something for everyone.***** This is not a list for "Deleuze
experts," but rather for anyone who is committed enough to read the
text. If you do the reading, you are "expert" enough to post questions
and reactions. Indeed, thoughts from those approaching the text for the
first time are likely to be the most fresh and fruitful. We will count
on the "experts" to help us along, but any condescension to other
posters will be discouraged most harshly by me.

Michael

NOTE ON THE TEXT:

Please note that some of the material from _Mille Plateux_ was
published in earlier versions in journals, etc. In this instance, the
first version of _Rhizome_ was published in French as a seperate
booklet in 1976, four years before _Mille Plateau_ appeared. (There is
at least one translation of this earlier version available). Please do
not use it, as it is substantially different from the final version
published in _Mille Plateaux_. Please read the section as it appears in
Brian Massumi's translation, _A Thousand Plateaus_, or in the French
original of _Mille Plateaux_ if you want to show off :). In this
instance, the first half of the Semiotext(e) booklet _On the Line_ *is*
a translation of the final French text, but by a different translator. I
suppose you could compare the two for "extra credit," but I really would
like to stick to the Massumi translation and the final French text so we
can all find things on the same pages.

P.S. Over the course of our discussion on this reading, I will post a
"summary" of the plateaus, borrowed from Charles Stivale, and then we
can discuss what to read next, etc. (It is not necessarily my goal to
"finish" with the reading of the book by the end of the semester or
whenever, as much as it is to sustain an engaging discussion of the text
for however long people are interested.)

Michael J. Current mcurrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mcurrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Presently unemployed (: G/L/B/T & AIDS policy activist
737 - 18th Street, Des Moines, IA 50314-1031 (515) 283-2142
"AN IMAGE OF THOUGHT CALLED PHILOSOPHY HAS BEEN FORMED HISTORICALLY
AND IT EFFECTIVELY STOPS PEOPLE FROM THINKING." - GILLES DELEUZE