MP: On Approaching the Text - Part THE LAST:) [VIII]

Because of the difficulties which I have repeatedly alluded to, _A
Thousand Plateaus_ is a book that is often picked up and put down just as
quickly. My goal in these posts has been to try to provide you with some
incentive and some help to stick with it long enough to see what it may
hold for you. As such, these posts have been of the nature of an
invitation. But it seems appropriate to close this series with an
acknowledgement that _Mille Plateaux_ is also, for all its virtues, in
some ways a problematic text, one that we must approach not only openly
and visceraly, as I and Massumi and Deleuze have urged, but also
critically. The final quote I will offer serves to remind us of this.

Dana Polan is the translator of Deleuze and Guattari's book _Kafka_,
in which many of the concepts we will examine here found their first
articulation. The following passage is from her "Translator's Preface"
to that volume. As someone who approaches the text out of a desire to
find new spaces for thoughtful political intervention, I believe these
words to be of great import (even though I may not be in complete
agreement with the assertions that relate to the concept of
_devenir-femme_).

Not that one should applaud any use of _Kafka_ whatsoever. Already,
some of the American critical adulation of other Deleuze-Guattari
texts. . .suggests how quickly a politics of the rhizomatic can
assuage the unhappy guilty conscience of the depoliticized
intellectual by offering him or her the alibi of a process in which
everything one does can be something that one can pretend is
politically engaged. The notion of the rhizome as an endless
pattern in which everything is linked to everything else can lead to
a slide from a notion like the Leninist one of struggle as a
calulated engagement with the _weakest_ link in the chain to a kind
of anarcho-voluntarist fantasy that every link is, in every time
and place, equally weak, equally appropriate as a point of
application for one's critical energies. Dangerously, despite all
the efforts of Deleuze and Guattari to deconstruct hierachies,
American literary criticism may treat them the way it has generally
treated Mikhail Baktin (in many ways a very similar sort of thinker)
- not as a theorist of the ties of collective enunciation and minor
literature but as aesthetes of a high-culture avant-garde closed in
on its own fetish of interiority. Deleuze and Guattari themselves
admit that there is a fine line between territorializing and
deterritorializing processes, and it is easy for their work to be
appropriated to the most divergent and even contradictory of ends.
One hopes that a translation of _Kafka_ will be something that
readers will question, as well as use.
It is necessary to keep watch over the ways in which what
Deleuze and Guattari present as progressive deterritorializations
may necessitate simultaneous reterritorializations in other sites of
the rhizome. Most especially, as Alice Jardine has pointed out, the
lines of escape tend to be especially open to privileged male
figures: for all their talk about a _devenir-femme_, a becoming
woman, Deleuze and Guattari tend to abstract this process away from
any tie to the historically specific situation and struggle of
women. Men get the chance to take flight from their entrappment,
but women get no chance at all except to be perfectly invisible in
the flow of the discourse. A picking up of Deleuze and Guattari,
then, would have to examine not only what they enable but also what
they disenable, what they close off. [1]

[1] Poulan, Dana. "Translator's Introduction." In _Kafka: Towards a
Minor Literature_, by Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari. [Trans. of
_Kafka: Pour une litterature mineure_. Paris: Minuit, 1975].
Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1986. P. xxvi. [Reference
omitted.]

- - - - -

So. . . .

What is a rhizome?