Answer me!

Hi folks

So I'm reviewing What is Philosophy for the Village Voice Lit Sup. My
piece is shorter than I had hoped for--I was going to talk about some of
the issues raised in this list, but given the fact that I still must
"introduce" Deleuze and outline WIP, I'm afraid I'll only be glancing
across some of our discussions.

I got some questions though: For those in the academy: How do you see the
role of Deleuze changing? In Yale in the late 80s, his works were
generally not included on the Intro to Theory classes--is this changing?
Is he a cult theorist? To folks find him "suspect"? And which Deleuze (Thatnks
Bryan for contrasting AO with MP--I think you're right on)? What about the
"philosophical" Deleuze? I wonder whether the phil-lit episode was
symptomatic: do other grad students/profs look on folks who love Deleuze
as a club? Is this because of the language, or because Deleuze demands a
kind of thinking that institutionalized American post-structuralism can't
handle? Why?

For those not in the academy: How do you integrate Deleuze into your
life/work? What do your friends think? How did you come across his work,
and why did you hold onto it? What other components of your life does
his/their stuff enter into combination with?

ANY responses, however brief, would help me get a handle on Deleuze's
changing status in and (in some ways more intriguingly) out of the academy.
If you don't want to post them to the list, please just zap them to me
personally, though they may fuel some interesting discussions.

Thanks in advance, and if any of you aren't near the Voice or are
allergic to either its heavy ink or its heavy attitude, I can forward you
a copy when the article's finished.

Surf that fold!

[] Erik Davis (oo) Cernunnos sez (cribbing the Fall): The only []
[] erikd@xxxxxxxxx __ thing real is waking and rubbing your eyes. []