Re: Guattari & Smoothing Out

[__]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \ / ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[__]
[] Erik Davis (oo) Cernunnos sez (cribbing the Fall): The only []
[] erikd@xxxxxxxxx __ thing real is waking and rubbing your eyes. []
[__]==================== ww ==============================================[__]

On Tue, 17 May 1994, D. Ronan Hallowell wrote:

> I've be trying to deal with G's "Machinic Heterogenesis" in _Rethinking
> Technololgies_
>
> I've also glanced "The Smooth & the Striated" in MP.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can help explain what is meant by smoothing out
> for example in this quote:
>
> "We must also surpass logic based on the principle of the excluded third
> term and on sufficient reason. Through smoothing out, a being beyond
> comes into play, a being-for-the-other, which makes an existing being
> take consitency outside of its strict delimitation in the here and now."
>
> Thanx,
> Ronan

By "logic based on the principle of the excluded third term" I believe
our man is referring to binary logic which refuses the so-called
"excluded middle" (very important to Crying of Lot 49). This, in its
simplest terms, is the logical insistence that A is either like B or not
like B. "Sort of" doesn't count--it destroys the efficiency of
sufficient reason, the apparent clarity of logical consistency. Guattari
seemingly is pointing to a "fuzzy logic" that would "smooth out" these
rigid distinctions and categories, and spill over into a becoming, a
being-for-the-other, a fuzzy grasp towards the other.

Just a stab.