List Moderation and other Administrivia

Kent Palmer, the list-owner, has recently decided that all of the Dialog-
Net philosophy lists, of which this is one, should have "official"
moderators whose role would be to welcome new subscribers, answer
questions about the list, deal with problems, and generally try to keep
productive and stimulating discussion flowing. Since I have basically
been performing that role - in the kind of low-key manner that I think
is appropriate to this list - for some time (with a few time-outs for
illness, unfortunately), I have volunteered and been appointed to that
position. I hope no one objects. I would be happy to share the duty
with someone else if they are particularly interested. I'd also welcome
feedback now or at any point in the future.

In general, I would like to say that I think this has been a TERIFFIC
list, with a relatively consistant flow of stimulating posts. Thanks
to many people for putting in the effort to make it that way, and
thanks especially to Charles Stivale and Marie Maclean for sharing
works-in-progress. And thanks to all of you for making this an open,
sharing, and almost flame-free space.

I would like to "wrap up" (for the moment) our general discusssion of
"Rhizome" fairly soon, but I want to allow people a little time to get
concluded with the semester, resettled at summer locals, etc. So I
think I will wait about another week before pushing the question of where
we should go next. In the meantime, I would welcome any proposals or
suggestions. As always, whatever those who are interested decide to
pursue as a joint reading, the list will be open to any and all discussion
of issues related to Deleuze and Guattari - such as this present thread
on Deleuze and Buddhism that I was glad to see develop.

I think that Guattari's piece, "Machinic Heterogenesis," one of his
last and most recent to appear in English (in the volume _Rethinking
Technologies_, Ed. Verena Andermatt Conley. Minneapolis: University
of Minnesota Press, 1993) will soon be discussed on another of the
Thinknet lists - philosophy of technology ("subscribe technology" to
majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to join), so you may wish to watch for that.

In the meantime, I hope you are all well. I am finally getting my
diabetes somewhat under control after having started insulin, and
although I have a ways to go, I am feeling better and hope to be
more active on this list in the coming weeks than I have in the past
few.

Take care.

Michael

--