Autopoiesis

I just wanted to second Kent's recommendation of _The Tree of Knowledge:
The Biological Roots of Human Understanding_, by Humberto R. Maturana
and Francisco J. Varela. (The "fathers" of autopoiesis). I, too, am
a novice in this area, and kind of dispaired of finding anything that
was basic and accessible enough. This is an expensive paperback, I
picked it up used, but it is worth it either way. It is very clearly
and coherently presented, and an attractive book with lots of illustrations.
I am just getting into it, but perhaps I will venture to take a stab at
what Malgosia asked for after I finish. (Sometimes the uninitiated are
the most clear. . . .) I was fascinated to see both the links between
this doctrine and Buddhism, and Guattari's use of it in the essay in _RT_.
I don't have Guattari's last books, does anyone know if he took up the
subject elsewhere?

Also, does anyone know anything about a psychologist named Daniel Stern
who Guattari apparently relies heavily on in _Chaosmos_?

BTW, the book is: Boston: Shambhala, 1992. ISBN # 0-87773-642-1.
Paper. $25.00 USA.

Michael

--
mcurrent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -or- @ins.infonet.net -or- @nyx.cs.du.edu