name/dropping

hi-----*i'm new*

the connection is so clear that you can hear a name drop

intro: i am a performance artist and graffitti projectionist currently living in
the upper midwest so?

name dropping won't do it, there is still to much that is unique in the body of
a written communication. for about five years now i have been using aliases.
sometimes a different name for every act. by consciously always claiming a
schizoactive shift i have been able to elude some of the colonists that are
constantly in pursuit.

as others have said, it seems as though the impulse to drop the name is
motivated by a desire to be ananymous so that we can say what we want without
fear of repercussion and to eliminate the institutional imperitives to own and
author (and all that goes with them). i am completely sympathetic to this
desire. the only way however that this can work is to confuse the
institutionalized systems of signification and representation. not to refuse to
be an *I* but insist on being many *i(s)*. and not just many but others too. we
must be willing to take at will, the names of others, and as well steal(as it is
called) other ideas and claim them as our own. once we begin to use each others
names after a short time it *will* be impossible to claim or assign a thought or
act to any single source.

the challenge here (from my own experience) is to be able to give up the
institutional (read social) notariety that comes with the production of widely
applauded material. for those of you still in school, living daily with the
imperetives of publishing, this refusal is especially challenging. with growing
access to the net dissemination of thought is free (for the moment) and
technically available to all. (imagine if i had to go through the usual routine
to try to get this short message into print).

i suggest for those that are new to this that you start small. submit one paper
with someone elses name on it, or a new alias. see how it feels when the
response is given, and you may not claim or defend. watch the crowd gather as
they try to assign an author, see the confusion, get involved in the discussion.

i think that this is the extraeconomic schizophrenic utopia that we all have
been reading for.

gille delueze
electrolove and freedom