ARCHITECTURE: Tensegrity Kits.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster Fulle
r'
s works" 23-MAR-1992 01:38:46.28
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: RE: tensegrity kits

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1992 00:45:32 EST
From: Michael Justice <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: tensegrity kits
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
20, 92 1:28 am

This got bounced (well, really, I mis-typed the list's address -- oops).
Here goes, again. . . .

I must've missed your previous post. Are you looking for a tinkertoys
type of thing, or serious modeling equipment, or simulation software?
If it's just a tinkertoys sort of thing, Real Goods sells something
called a "tensegritoy", which looks kinda cute. To quote from their
latest micro-catalog:

EXPLORE ARCHITECTURE BUCKY FULLER STYLE

Tensegritoy is an ingenious new construction puzzle that
provides fun and intellectual challenge for children over
ten. Based on R. Buckminster Fuller's ideas of tensegrity
(tension and integrity) over 100 intriguing shapes can be
built. The structures can boucne, roll, or seemingly float
in the air. With the colorful components you can construct
a basic four-sided figure, a helix or a geodesic dome, or
explore architecture and the arrangement of DNA! The 32-page
illustrated instruction booklet provides lots of how-to ideas.
This is truly an affordable learning experience.
90-412 TENSEGRITOY . . . . $29

Real Goods is a yuppie "alternative energy / environmental / whatever-we-
can-make-a-buck-on" :-) mail-order house. 1-800-762-7325 for orders. I've
bought a few books from them, which turned out not to be particularly good
(the one on windmills turned out to be "How to make a cheap windmill from
a 55-gallon drum and some plywood"). For non-informational goods, I would
expect them to be at least decent. They used to get mentioned occasionally
over in sci.environment (this is a USENET newsgroup, for those who are on
BITNet and haven't run into USENET yet) as being good.

-- Michael.