ART: Art Software. Reply.

From: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 7-JUL-1992 17:29:17.11
To: artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC:
Subj: "art software"

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1992 23:06:18 +0000
From: nearo01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: "art software"
Sender: artnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Via: UK.AC.MAILBASE; 7 JUL 92 22:22:57 BST

>I would like information concerning art software - for any kind of
>computer. I am an art educator, involved in a computers course at a
>nearby university, and would like some information on software that could
>be used in the art classroom. Your input would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanks
>
>jenn

Jenn,

What is art software?

There is no software which, on its own, makes anything I would consider
good art.

What equipment are you using? There are magazines for the various makes of
computers in which graphics software (if this is what you mean) is
discussed and reviewed.

Without intending to start any sort of "my computer is better than yours"
controversy, my personal recommendation would be that you use something
like Fractal Designs "Painter" on a Macintosh IIcx or above with at least
4MB of RAM, a 24-bit graphics card and a color printer, such as Hewlett
Packard s Deskwriter C -- this would give students a relatively easy-to-use
program with considerable capabilities, plus a means of getting hard copy
that doesn t cost too much and delivers respectable quality. A graphics
tablet would be a good investment, since it permits more flexible input
than a mouse, and is, with its stylus orientation, more familiar to
non-computer-users.

If by "art software" you mean software that would enable one to produce
interactive artworks, then you d have to write your own, using something
like HyperCard or Pascal or C, and invest a bit in an "card" that would
allow your computer to read and send electrical signals from and to
switches and sensors in the world. Somewhat more complicated and of
questionable appropriateness for beginning students until the technology
becomes more Erector-set-like.

Hope this helps, but I think you would be well-advised to consider
carefully just what it is you want to accomplish and why before introducing
any computer component into your curriculum, or buying any equipment.

Regards,

Mike Rodemer
Michael Rodemer
Dept. of American Studies