SIGGRAPH '92 Proceedings CD-ROM

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: comp.graphics
From: uad1077@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Ian Kemmish)
Subject: Re: SIGGRAPH '92 Proceedings CD-ROM
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1992 19:10:49 GMT

danm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan McCabe) writes:

>So, like, I have this CD-ROM with the SIGGRAPH proceedings on it and
>I want to read it on an IBM RS/6000. The disk sez to see the README file
>for info on how to get a viewer for my machine. Unfortunately, I don't
>have access to a Sun SPARC, DECStation, DG AViiOn or a DOS machine
>with a CD-ROM reader in order to read the alleged README file and
>learn how to get an RS/6000 viewer.

I got my copy of the proceedings today. Here's the readme file:
USING THE SIGGRAPH '92 PROCEEDINGS, CD-ROM VERSION

If you have one of the following systems,

Sun SPARC
DECstation (Ultrix)
DG AViiON
Microsoft Windows 3.1

please mount the CD-ROM as an ISO 9660 filesystem as you
normally would and cd to the directory on the disc for
your platform.

To run the Viewtool retrieval software:

On SUN systems you should only have to type:

SIGSTART.SH <return>

On DEC systems you should type:

SIGSTART.SH\;1 <return>

On DG systems you should type:

sigstart.sh\;1 <return>

Under Microsoft Windows 3.1, assuming your CD-ROM
drive is called L:, select the Run... option from File
menu, and execute the command line:

L:\WINDOWS\VIEWTOOL.EXE L:\SGTEXT_I

For more information, on running the Viewtool retrieval
software (or MediaView on the NeXT), please see the README
file in the directory for your platform.

Viewtool support for additional platforms is planned,
including:

Apple Macintosh II and Quadra
HP 400
HP 700
IBM RS/6000
NeXT
SGI

For additional information or technical assistance,
please contact:

Young Minds, Incorporated
1910 Orange Tree Lane
Suite 300
Redlands, CA 92374
(714) 335-1350
(714) 798-0488 fax

[Me again...] BTW I was pretty unimpressed at having SIG*G*R*A*P*H*
proceedings presented on-screen in a tatty little ascii-only window.
(This was on the Sparc; I couln't see any obvious controls for growing
the windows.) I would have thought nicely formatted page images
would be a must - especially since many of the platforms they
mention support *some* flavour of Display PS. Or am I missing
something?

--
Ian D. Kemmish Tel. +44 767 601 361
18 Durham Close uad1077@xxxxxxxxxxxx