ART: Clay.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Ceramic Arts Discussion List" 25-AUG-1992 00:
46
:49.92
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: request for information

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1992 00:22:52 -0400
From: [email protected]
Subject: request for information
Sender: Ceramic Arts Discussion List <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
Comments: Warning -- RSCS tag indicates an origin of CLAYART@UKCC

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Dean DeBolt" 24-AUG-1992 12:46:14.74
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Joe Molinaro"
CC:
Subj: Item for CLAYART list?

Date: 24 Aug 1992 11:36:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: Dean DeBolt <[email protected]>
Subject: Item for CLAYART list?
To: Joe Molinaro <[email protected]>

I do not work with Clay and would not find the list of value, but I am
sending you this to include on the list if you will.

Special Collections Department of the John C. Pace Library, University of
West Florida, Pensacola, has received the papers of John Williamson Crary
(1814-1897). Mr. Crary, born in Ohio, came to Pensacola, Florida in the
1850s to oversee a brick-making company. His brick-making machine appears
on the cover of January 5, 1861. His papers include correspondence, copies
of his patents for brick kilns and the Crary Clay Heater (1875). He was
a frequent writer for the Clay-Worker (Indianapolis, IN) and his book Sixty
Years as a Brick-Maker had wide circulation.

I realize there is a gulf between the use of clay as an art form and clay
as an industrial product, but since the list should reach people interested
in clay as a medium, I am asking that the mention be forwarded. I am simply
looking to see if anyone has any additional information on this person,
perhaps in the "clay" archives at their library or institution.

If you don't feel it is pertinent to the list, that's okay, too. You would
not believe the hours I spent brushing red clay dust from the folds of the
dozens and dozens of letters, etc....after 100 years, they are still pink
in tone.

Dean DeBolt, Special Collections Librarian, University of West Florida,
Pensacola [email protected]