GENERAL: VR. Animation on the IBM PC.

If you get this far with stereoscopic images, then here is a good
source for animation. Howard

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: comp.graphics.animation
From: broehl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bernie Roehl)
Subject: Re: Animation on the IBM...
Sender: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1992 14:30:17 GMT

In article <00960ADC.5BF55108@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
i34183289@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Ultimately, I want to create the scenes on my IBM, animate them, then dump
>all the scene and script files to PoV (or Rayshade) to my Unix account, then
>render late at night when the processing time is fastest (and I have the
>least chance of pissing off other users).
>
> Is this the best way to create cheap easy graphics without a SGI
>workstation?

Yes. In fact, the overall "pipeline" will look probably something like this:

+---------------[modelling package]------------------+
| |
| (polygon rep) | (CSG rep)
| |
+--->[interactive animation package] |
| |
| (locations, joint angles, etc) |
| |
+------------>[RAYSCENE]<---------------+

(miscellaneous scene info) | (POV input)
| |
+------->[POV]<----------+

+----->[DTA]

| (.FLI files)

+--->[AAPLAY]

The interesting thing is that most of the pieces already exist; RAYSCENE,
POV (or any of several other raytracers on both DOS and Unix), DTA and AAPLAY.

What's missing is a modelling package and a tool to actually generate the
animation (in terms of object locations and rotations for each frame).

When I get some time (not in the immediate future, but soon) I hope to write
a simple interactive animation tool using REND386 as a base.

--
Bernie Roehl, University of Waterloo Electrical Engineering Dept
Mail: broehl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx