GENERAL: Animation Schools. Probably the Best List of...

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: comp.graphics.animation
From: [email protected] (Robert Grzeszczuk)
Subject: Re: Computer Animation Schools
Sender: [email protected] (News System)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1992 20:33:30 GMT

Howdy,

I grabbed this list of animation schools from rec.arts.animation
back in May. It was posted by [email protected] (Joe C Solinsky)
and I am re-posting it in this group without his knowledge or
permission. This list was originally compiled or distributed by
Bill Matthews who works for Disney, I believe.

The list was meant for people with an interest in traditional
animation so you will have to contact the schools themselves to
see if they also offer computer animation courses.

Also, SIGGRAPH put together a "Computer Graphics Career Handbook"
that listed schools offering degrees and/or courses in computer
graphics. I have the 1991 edition and I remember seeing several
schools that offered computer animation courses. The 1992 edition
may be all gone by now; there was a post about a month ago in
comp.graphics regarding the availability of the handbooks.
Does anyone have more info about this?

Irv Moy - [email protected]

Schools Reflecting Strong Visual Arts Programs

1. Art Center College of Design
Jean Mitsunaga : Director, Career Sources
(818)584-5038
1700 Lida St.
Pasadena, CA 91103
David R. Brown, President

2. California Institute of the Arts
Glen Vilppu : Chairman, Character Animation
(805)255-1050
24700 McBean Parkway
Valencia, CA 91355
Steven D. Lavine, President

3. Columbus College of Art & Design
Ron Tardino : Dean, Illustration
(614)224-9101
47 N. Washington Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215
Joseph Cinzani, President

4. Rhode Island School of Design
Steve Whitton : Director, Creative Services
(401)331-3511
Two College Street
Providence, RI 02930

5. Kansas City Arti Institute
Jack Lew : Co-Chairman, Design
(816)561-4852
4415 Warwick Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64111
Beatrice Rivas Sanchez, President

6. Maryland Institute, College of Art
Belle Massey : Asst. Director, Career Planning
(301)669-9200
1300 W. Mount Royal Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21217
Fred Lazarus IV, President

7. Pratt Institute
Judith Nylen : Director, Career Planning
(718)636-3600
200 Willoughby Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Warren Ilchman, President

8. Ringling School of Art & Design
Frank Countryman : V.P., Institutional Advancement
(813)351-4514 / (800)255-7695
1111 Twenty-Seventh Street
Sarasota, FL 33580
Arland Christ-Janer, President

9. School of Visual Arts
Jack Endewelt : Chairman, Media Arts
(212)679-7350
209 E. 23rd Street
New York, NY 10010
David Rhodes, President

10. Sheridan College of Applied Arts & Technology
(416)849-2814
1430 Tralfalgar Road
Oakvill, Ontario
Canada L682L1