ARCHITECTURE: Jennifer Bloomer.

- - The original note follows - -

Date: Wednesday, 21 Oct 1992 18:56:59 CDT
From: Laura Boutwell <U58100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: alt.architecture,alt.architecture
Subject: Supplemental Practice

Jennifer Bloomer just gave her speech "Supplemental Practice" to my school -
the University of Illinois Graduate School of Architecture; it was a beauti-
fully conceived plea for a place - just an acknowledgement *of*, not even
a faith in - the excessive, expressive detail, a resurgence of allegorical
meaning in architecture, an addendum to the modernist manifesto/s of
taste and health in their corrective and narrowly defined proscriptions for
the city. This is merely to remind you that there exists a parasitical
and deeply fascinating margin to your profession, and that I, for one,
a possibly over-literary girl architect, am mastering your not uninteresting
media and will be using it for the exclusive purpose of undermining that
which i feel is ethically, aesthetically, and emotionally deficient and will
channel the rage of the fringes in the form of a feisty flame whenever my
surveillence deems it necessary. Yes, CAD has its limits, HVAC *does* have
relevance to the world at large, but I remind you that space *is* political
and any joining of two disparate materials - whether they are KalWal and
steel or hair and glass - is a fundamentally architectural and conceptual act.
Have a nice day.