ARCHITECTURE: Chaos Theory.

- - The original note follows - -

From: randolph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Randolph Fritz)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Chaos Theory
Date: 25 Oct 92 22:58:43 GMT

I think a big application of chaos theory to architecture lies in
the observation that cities are chaotic systems, and urban form is
fractal. A city is a phase space of human activity. Now that I think
about it, so is any structure. And a "dead" space is one that
contains no activity; something that doesn't somehow mirror the
motions of the people around and in it.

Perhaps another direction in which fractal models are useful is
because they provide a way to organize multiple scales of space, and
yet another is in decorative patterns.

But perhaps the most important and difficult application is in the
modelling of form. Fractal forms can have what architects and artists
call "life;" natural form. Chaos theory is one of the long-sought
bridges between mathematics and natural form and we will probably be
centuries in learning all its possibilities.

__Randolph Fritz sun!cognito.ebay!randolph || randolph@xxxxxxxxxxxx