Exhibition Announcement-- The Computer Is Not Sorry

>From IQM104@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sat Nov 14 18:27:29 1992
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 92 21:25:56 EST
From: "CINS.txt (ASCII)" <IQM104@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: "The Computer Is Not Sorry"
To: "Facil raltemus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <raltemus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Computer Is Not Sorry
A group show of computer installation art
January 1993 at the Space
opening Saturday, January 9, 1993

A show of installation art utilizing digital technology will be presented
in January at the Space. As computers move from tool to medium, a group of
artists today are exploring the computer as artistic object, attempting to
define its place in our culture. This is not an exhibit of art made on the
computer, but an exhibit exploring the computer as a component of artistic
expression.

Increasingly these days people communicate digitally and as computers
become smaller and more integrated into other equipment this dependency
will increase. The computer has entered the fabric of our lives as
completely as have the television or light bulb. "The Computer Is Not
Sorry" will present the work of artists who are investigating the
computer, in the context of larger installations, music and hypertext, as
it infuses our lives. They are trying to understand it as object within
the context of self expression. These installations cross and combine
media and break down the structures which cause us to see the computer as
an isolated monolithic device.

One feature that has been designed into computers is interactivity. From
simulated warfare to "user friendly" interfaces they have a ability to
mimic a human response. Interactivity is a lie. The computer is not really
sorry when it apologizes, but this mimicry of manners fulfills a need in us
to complete a cycle of communication. This interactive side of machines,
in itUs sheepUs clothing, will be explored by many of the artists in the
show. Like the grand master dwarf in the chess playing machine of old, the
computer's place in these artworks may be hidden or obscured. Our
interactivity with these works will be through structures other than our
daily ATM genuflection.

Boston is the place where the future is beta tested. The artists will be
Massachusetts residents or have strong Boston ties. Boston residents
include Jennifer Hall of DoWhile Studios, Tim Anderson from M.I.T. The
show will include examples of recent hypertext literature by Judy Malloy
and others, published by Eastgate Systems, Inc of Watertown. Other artists
with Boston ties include Chris Burnett and Greg Garvey. In conjunction
with the exhibition we are planning a series of jazz performances by Neil
Leonard (Massachusetts College of Art) which play with and combine the
interactivity of the computer and performer.

The show will be documented in a number of ways. A catalog will be
produced with essays by Simon Penny (professor at University of Florida
Gainsville and curator of the 1993 SIGGRAPH art show) and Chris Burnett
(professor at the Kansas City Art Institute). A video catalog of the show
is in production and a hypertext catalog is being planned.

The Space is one of Boston's principal alternative arts centers. A
non-profit gallery, it provides a forum for innovative projects in the the
visual and performing arts. The Space has a tradition, in its eight years,
of presenting new voices from diverse backgrounds. We show visual,
installation and performance art as well as presenting poetry and video.

Brian Wallace is the art exhibit organizer and historical collections
manager at the Computer Museum. This summer he co-chaired a SIGGRAPH
panel on the future of art and the museum, entitled Walls Without Museums.

George Fifield is video curator of the Space. For the past three seasons
he has organized the Video at the Space exhibition series, Boston's only
regularly showing of video art. He is currently curating the new
experimental film and video collection for Videosmith.

For more information contact:

the Space
107 South Street
Boston, MA 02111
617.451.0602
fax: 451.0621

Or e-mail: gwf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

+ Reed Altemus Networks Facilitator, The Computer Is Not Sorry
: raltemus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - - ^ : + : + : + : + - - - > ^
+ laltemus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx : + : < - - - ^ + : + : + :
: lra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ^ - - - > : + : + : + : + ^ < - - -