Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: olasov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Benjamin Olasov)
Subject: Re: tall structure limits
Sender: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (The Daily News)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1992 04:13:30 GMT

In article <Byz0Hw.Ay0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> hbstrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (harold b strock)
writes:

>Question: Is there a very simple reference which someone can bring to my
>attention which discusses the design of a tall skyscraper or one in which
>the height limits to tall structures are discussed.

Mario Salvadori has written some very readable books on structural
design in architecture, in fact, I think one was titled "Structural
Design in Architecture", but that would not be the simplest. He
published another called (something like) "Why Buildings Stand Up"
that's illustrated with freehand drawings and expresses some of the
fundamental concepts clearly.

The engineer that's probably the most authoritative source (IMO)
unfortunately hasn't published much - that would be Bill LeMessurier,
who teaches structures at Harvard and MIT. He's probably best known
for designing the 'tuned mass damper' structural system in Citicorp
Center in New York at 53rd & Lex. He's made a very interesting career
of designing (among many other things) the structural systems of very
tall buildings. In the course I took, he used the analogy of 'a beam
cantilevering into the wind' to describe the design problem.

--
Ben Olasov olasov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx