GENERAL: Perspective.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 14-JAN-199
3
17:49:58.65
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: perspective

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1993 17:35:26 EST
From: MM <mbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: perspective
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>

Paul makes a very good and easily forgotten point. It made me remember
the essay I read over the summer by Jacques Merleau-Ponty, "Indirect Language
and the Voices of Silence," in which he points out how renaissance perspective
is at odds with any experience of the perceiving eye. He says many things in
the essay (it was almost too much for one summer), but I especially liked his
idea that art is a "coherent deformation" of nature, rather than an imitation.
Cezanne also made remarks about transposing the appearance of nature, keeping
certain proportions and relationships, but making no attempt to "faithfully
record" the landscape.
Michael McColl