ARCHITECTURE: Reshaping Geodesic Dome Structures?

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster Fulle
r'
s works" 15-JAN-1993 22:58:59.39
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: temporary space

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1993 11:17:55 EST
From: Peter Baumbach <baumbach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: temporary space
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>

Hello,
Is this list still around?

I am curious to discover if a dome can be built large enough to play
volleyball inside it and remain a temporary structure which does not
need to meet any zoning requirements. I like to play sand volleyball
in the summer, and I wish to extend the season to all year long.
Can you elongate the dome to make it conform to a rectangular playing
area, or does this weaken the structure considerably. If I want to
enclose an area 50ft by 80ft, how tall would the structure be? A height
25ft or greater is required.

Any thoughts on this, and I will be interested.

Peter Baumbach