ARCHITECTURE: Christopher Alexander Query.

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: nix@xxxxxxxxxx (Nick Thompson)
Subject: Christopher Alexander
Sender: news@xxxxxxxxxx (Usenet News System)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1993 22:41:43 GMT

I've read several of Christopher Alexander's books (_The Timeless Way
of Building_, _A Pattern Language_, and the biography by Stephen
Grabow). I find his notion of beauty to be very appealing - it has
completely transformed the way I look at buildings. In the few cases
where I've put his patterns into practice I have been pleased with the
results.

Grabow suggests that Alexander's radical views are part of a paradigm
shift in architecture (and unlike most people tossing around the term
"paradigm shift," Grabow has actually read Kuhn).

I'm curious as to how Alexander is viewed in the architecture
community. He has a medal from the AIA and a professorship at
Berkeley, so he's apparently not viewed as a crank. However, there
are very few references to his work in the architecture books at the
CMU bookstore, and those are to his early work. I'd particularly like
to hear from architecture students.

Nick