ART: Klein International Blue Paintings Query.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 18-JAN-199
3
21:34:16.21
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: RE: Klein International Blue

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1993 20:27:29 CST
From: Paul Brown <brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Klein International Blue
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>

Klein was one of my heros back in the 60's when I was
at college studying painting. Back then we could
major in painting, printmaking or sculpture and my
interests just didn't fit too well. Anyhow, I discovered
the work of Klein & fell in love with it. The only
comprehensive book I ever found on him was about
seven or 8 years ago - the catalog of a large
retrospective at the Pompadou Center which was
unfortunately (for me) in French. If anyone knows
of a good book on him in English (or even American)
I'd be grateful to know about it.

This has been inspired by Chris Woodill's talk about
"the blue canvas". I'm reminded of a story about
kleins first exhibiton of the blue canvases at some
leading Paris Gallery. All were the same size, same blue
and neaty arranged on the walls. Klein was apparently
very upset when the spectators came in, took one look
around, clearly through "blue canvases" then moved on.

When he repeated the show sometime later in New York
he had the forsight to put very different prices on
each on the painting. Sure enough, now people came
up to them one by one and examined them very closely.

Ahh nostalgia

Paul brown
brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx