GENERAL: Ecco and Semiotics ... News.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Visual and Verbal Semiotics" 21-JAN-1993 1
2:
47:50.95
To: Howard Lawrencee <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: RE: Indiana State U and others

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 11:57:37 -0500
From: Christopher Woodill <cwoodill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Indiana State U and others
Sender: Visual and Verbal Semiotics <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrencee <[email protected]>
20, 93 12:34 pm

> ** DADA Typographic Designs **
>
> Christopher --
>
> You're off slightly -- it's Indiana University you're thinking of, not
> ISU. The Bloomington campus _is_ one of the great centers for
> semiotics (along with Bologna, under Eco). Thomas Sebeok, who
> specializes in zoosemiotics and more biological, rather than literary,
> semiotics was the head of the department until retirement last year.
> he's still directing things, however, as they haven't found a
> replacement for him yet. his wife, jean umiker-sebeok, teaches there
> as well. most of the classes are cross-listed with other departments,
> and semiotics, if i'm not mistaken, doesn't offer itself as a true
> "major," but grants a special certificate in conjunction with another
> department.
>
> there's another woman (whose name escapes me) who specializes in
> theatre semiotics, and a man named donald cunnigham who does education
> and semiotics.
>
> i went to school in bloomington ('85-'89) but didn't study semiotics.
> (i got a degree in philosophy). thomas sebeok is a wonderful and
> quirky man, but very receptive to curious students. if you went down
> to visit, you could probably set up an appointment to meet with him.
> let me know if you're interested, i'll get you the number of the
> semiotics department.
>
> --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
> a.h.s. boy | SLEEP FURIOUSLY |
> spud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | ...AND |
> "Keine Schoenheit ohne Gefahr" | DREAM BEAUTIFUL DREAMS |

As a matter of fact, Sebeok is here in Toronto. He is teaching a
grad. course in semiotics I think, and I have met him. He is
certainly quirky, and his work on the communication habits of animals
seems a little bizarre.

What I am interested in is going to a conference there this summer in
order to explore the University and get educated at the same time.
Thus, I need a scheduale of what is going on there.

Christopher Woodill
cwoodill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx