ARCHITECTURE: Patrick Geddes. more...

- - The original note follows - -

From: ajpotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (A Potts)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Patrick Geddes?
Date: 25 Jan 93 13:23:39 GMT

writes:

>> A couple of months ago, the environmental design
>>journal, "Places", carried an article about the nineteenth
>>century urban planner Patrick Geddes. Since then, i have
>>been trying to find information on this person. Does anyone
>>know of a biography or of work by this designer?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> John

Patrick Geddes was more than an urban designer - he possibly did more to
regenerate the slums of Edinburgh than any other man. If you're ever in
Edinburgh there is a 'Patrick Geddes trail' wherein one traces a route
around the old town visiting his major works. Much of what he did was
reallly improving quality of life: refurbishing 16th and 17th Century
tenements to acceptable standards without destroying the quality of the
buildings.

As well as adding a small garden to Edinburgh's old town he completely
refurbished Mylne's Court, which is now used by the University of
Edinburgh as very attractive Student Accomodtion. But his most
substantial and original works are:

1 - The camera Obscura. An extraordinary tower built just by the castle
and via mirrors a offering panoramic views of Edinburgh. This is also
the home of the Patrick Geddes Study Centre - I dont't have the address
to hand, but it is on the Lawnmarket, Royal Mile.

2 - Ramsay Gardens. A wonderfully fanciful collection of buildings at
the top of the royal mile looking down over Edinburgh. They are on
almost all the postcards and now are probably the most sought after
buildings in the town.

Hope this helps. There are a number of publications, but if you are
really interested your best bet would be to get in touch with the people
at the Patrick Geddes centre. If you try Camera Obscura, Lawnmarket,
Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K. I have no doubt you will be
successful.

Hope this helps

Alistair James Potts

Department of Architecture,