GENERAL: Cul-de-Sacs Plan for Chicago.

- - The original note follows - -

From: sod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sean M O Donnell)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Chicago cul-de-sacs
Date: 26 Jan 1993 04:44:54 GMT
Originator: sod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From article <churayj-240193115418@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, by
churayj@xxxxxxxxxx (raymond Chung):
> Hello.
>
> Have you heard about Mayor Daley's plan to section off as much of Chicago
> as he can in order to stem crime? He wants to put up fences or concrete
> barriers at the ends of roads to corner criminals and to stop drive-by
> shootings, etc. Other cities have done similar things in certain areas, but
> the Chicago plan is to cordon off the entire city into little chunks.
>
> Now my question is this, is the future of urban design going to be shaped
> by the pressures of crime? (Or is it already, and I'm just too much an
> amateur to know that?)

I would assume that security has always been an issue. Oscar Newman's book
_Defensible Space, Crime Prevention Through Urban Design_ was written in
1972, so this topic isn't that new. Daley's plan, what little that I know
about it, sounds like a solution that might have been cooked up in the 1950's
though. Killing off traffic will probably increase the possibility for
crime and it will probably force the closure of a lot of businesses that
rely on through traffic, resulting in... more crime.