ARCHITECTURE: CADD in the Office.

To: DESIGN-L

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
From: amn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew Noble)
Subject: Re: Architectural firms use of computers?
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1993 19:26:46 GMT

In article <1993Feb5.204954.8302@xxxxxxxxxx> randolph@xxxxxxxxxx (Randolph
Fritz) writes:
>Please, would any of you out there who know something about how
>architecture firms currently use computers, write a bit about the
>subject? I've an eye towards perhaps working for such a firm,
>supporting their computers.

Well, Here's a smaller-use perspective of CAD in the Archit. Field.

Our office in Dallas primarily builds custom, high-end residences.
We do design speculative houses also, but our primary activity is one-time
design. These houses are also Classical, not modern or contemporary.

We mostly design the foundation using a cad package. CAD is an excellent
way to verify room dimensions, by laying out the interior partitions using the
room sizes from floor plans. Using this layout, we can easily offset for
concrete grade beams and voila, you have the beginning of a foundation plan.
Add piers and conc slabs and your practically done.

(Now, to eliminate a FLAME discussion on the merits of cad over drawing
boards. -We prefer drawing 'on the boards' over doing everything on cad.
I know it'll be hard for some to comprehend this, but for the demands in
our office, it works best for us this way.)

Another great little benefit we have from CAD is scaling. I spent 8 hrs once
designing a Tuscan column -accurately from American Vignolia- Got that sucker
nailed in as far as proportion. Now we can pop that block in any size (x,y)
and print it on the computer at any scale. Once we even gave stone shop
drawings of a column to a stone contractor at full scale. The plot was 4'
wide by 15' long!

Anyhow, there's a little snapshot of our office use of CAD.

amn

--
_ Andrew Noble
| |__ Dallas, Texas