Re: ARCHITECTURE: 2D and 3D Issues. Response.

Hello Rick,

I enjoyed your message regarding...differences in perspectives...art
versus achitecture and representation...

But, I think you heir when you claim that the primary (a tricky concept)
purpose of architecture is to provide shelter...or some such use value.
It seems to me that architecture is a form of expression--a social act.
Not only does it "house" (note the Utility...the utilitarian verb)
people..but it instructs them on how to reside...how to defined inside and
outside...positive and negative space. It teaches them what Form is
acceptable....it appeals to grandeur or prestige--whether through contrast
(the implied referent) or through magnificant display. In short,
architecture is ideological. (So is much of today's art...but that for
later.) Another way of examining this idea is to think of the
way-too-techno-weenee M Macluan's idea: "the medium is the massage...the
medium is the massage."

Think about this in another way, also. What we do as social
folks...depends upon what we perceive as real...as possible...socially
competent. We work within our meaning...constantly emerging as
individuals in a socially structured environment. We work with what is
available to us. What is available to us...our meaning...consists of our
agreements (social habits)...our institutions. Architecture is an
emergent craft. As it builds (so to speak) on its reality...its meaning,
it builds meaning for those who will experience it...

Rick Freeman jeanbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Northern Rim Project Northern Rim Project@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Missoula, Montana northernrim@xxxxxxx