ART: Feminist Arts News. Request for Help.

From: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 26-FEB-1993 14:36:38.31
To: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx", IN%"[email protected]"
CC:
Subj: Arts Magazine Funding Crisis - action !

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1993 12:12:46 +0000
From: Ivan Pope <iap@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Arts Magazine Funding Crisis - action !
Sender: artnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, [email protected]

Please pass this on and distribute as widely as possible

Dear All,
I have received today a letter from a UK magazine, Feminist Arts News. They
have been informed by the Arts Council of Great Britain that their funding
grant will be cut by 100% from April 1st 1993.

I quote from the letter:

" This decision has come as a complete shock to FAN with no indication
whatsoever or any consultation on the matter - the Arts Council having
funded us for over five years for both production costs and extra marketing
development grants. FAN prides itself on developing a remarkable and
inspiring publication for over 13 years, and therefore is appealing against
this decision and launching a campaign to fight for reinstatement of the
grant.

" The FAN readership often have limited resources and use FAN extensively
through libraries and as part of college courses. For this they should not
be penalised, but more heavily funded.

" Each issue is effectively contextualised around either an alliance of
women or a relavant issue. While being effectively focused this provides
cross-over points relevant to the different experiences of women's lives.

I am a subscriber to FAN and would like to add that I feel it is imperative
that this magazine and others like it survive. We need a breadth of
publishing - not a bland and controlled press for the arts.

FAN ask that any concerned parties write to the Arts Council immediately. I
would like to add that letters from concerned parties around the world
would help immensely.

Write to:

Marjorie Althorpe-Guyton, Director of Visual Arts, The Arts Council, 14
Great Peter St, London SW1P 3NQ

and send a copy to FAN at the address below.

For full information contact:
Sally Dawson
FAN co-ordinator
Unit 26