Re: ARCHITECTURE: Sculpture Connection?

Andrew, re. your message:

> I believe that a seperation between these two (and that means that I admit
> that there is, but just can't define it), begins with the function of shelter.
> Architecture MUST provide shelter.

That distinction doesn't cut it for me. Whether or not (so to speak...)
the use value (shelter) is the distinguishing attribute...I'm not quite
ready to argue...

But, I am sure that ONLY distinguishing sculpture from architecture, on
the basis of the use-value shelter....is lacking. It begs the question
"how do we (as a group) construct our meaning for 'shelter'?"

I think we might be better off analyzing an object
(conceptual...ideological) in terms of its "sign-value."

Rick Freeman jeanbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Northern Rim Project
Missoula, Montana northernrim@xxxxxxx