Re: ARCHITECTURE: Sculpture Connection.

Howard:
Perception is how we interpret energy, it's meaning, and the organization
of stimuli. Because senses react to stimuli, they need specalized receptors
to carry the information to the brain. Every sense has it's own sense
receptor that only responses to one particular stimuli.
The division (or rather catagorization) of senses are:
I. Smell
II. Taste
III. Vision
A. Value/Light (also the light seen when your eyes are closed)
B. Color
IV. Hearing
V. Touch
A. Light pressure
B. Deep pressure
VI. Tickle (I know it seems that it would be under touch, but
it has its' own set of sensory receptors)
VII. Pain (You can have pain without being touched in a sore area
and the sense of touch is only through pressure/weight)
VIII. Temperature
A. Hot
B. Cold
IX. Kinesthesis (detect position of body parts through stretch receptors)
X. Proproception (feel parts of internal body ex. stomach)

This is the basic breakdown of the senses. Two interesting things
that you can do as part of experimenting with certain sense is
to turn on a spot-light, face the source of light, then close your
eyes. With your eyes closed move your head away from the source
or move your hand in front of your closed eyes. You should be able
to detect the change in the amount of light, although your eyes are
closed. Hmmm, this occurs through value (and somewhat through
temperature)receptors. Not the same receptors that allow us to see
images with our eyes open. Another thing to try is to close your
eyes and move your arms away from your torso, first to a forty-five
degree angle and then to a 90 degree angle. The Kinesthesis receptors
are very accurate. You can tell where your arms are in relation to
your torso when your eyes are closed. I think it's pretty neat.

What do ya think?
nicole