ARCHITECTURE: Tallest Masonry Building.

- - The original note follows - -

From: mst4298@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mitchell S Todd)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Height limit for brick buildings?
Date: 2 Mar 1993 13:11 CST
News-Software: VAX/VMS VNEWS 1.41

In article <12236@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, muzzle@xxxxxxxxxxx writes...
>Just wondering... what is the highest practical building that you can make
>from bricks, ie without any supporting steel, etc.

It depends on what you would call "practical." The tallest all-
masonry buildings that I know of (the Monadnock building, for example)
are about ten or so stories tall. To do this, you need walls
between five and ten feet thick at ground level. Labor and
materials costs would be prohibitive for such a structure.

If you just want a really big, simple pyramid, damn the cost, you
could build one about 7 or so miles high before the Earth's crust
failed under the load.

_____
\_____ \__ / / tamu.edu _____/ No Comment _____/
\/____/