Re: ARCHITECTURE: FRACTALS.

Howard, re. your quotation from __Chaos__ by James Gleick..and your
response...

> I completely agree. Things (material and otherwise) are only interesting
> as long as they reveal new things to the observer. International style
> boxes have less to reveal because of their simplicity. Very organic
> architecture, like prairie homes and the snickelways of old European
> cities, is almost inexhaustible in its revelations and therefore much more
> interesting.

That's an interesting statment. I'd like to begin unpacking it a little bit.
It takes us right to the production of meaning.... What are the factors of
production in this type of relation...the relation between architectural
object (read: "object") and the subject? What are the "resources" from
which we construct meaning (especially vis-a-vis the architectural
setting)? Are you thinking similarly to the type of thinking of C.
Alexander in __A Pattern Language__?

Rick Freeman jeanbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Northern Rim Project
Missoula, Montana northernrim@xxxxxxx