ARCHITECTURE: Sculpture Connection.

How about environmental sculpture? Is it concerned with inside space?

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Architecture vs Sculpture
From: rcbi27@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (DBRUM)
Date: 4 Mar 93 20:55:50 -0500

The difference between Sculpture and Architecture:

The architect is conserned with building around an inner space.

The sculptor with the outer space--how he/she fills this space
from the "outside" point of view.

Certainly the architect is conserned also with the outer appearance
of the building or structure; but this is subservient, in the purist
sense, to the main object, which is defining or establishing inner
spaces.

The sculptor may indeed plan for the inside reaches of his sculpture
to be accessible (as a hidy-hole or votive recess, or, if big enough,
a stairway leading to some kind of lookout) but this consern is secondary
to the outer form and deminsions of the work.

Finally, I agree that definitions can be boring and confusing, but one
must remember that they are necessary evils for purposes of general
order in comunications. You'll agree that "sculptor" and "architect"
are not interchangeables!

--

"I laughed out loud one time and they turned me in." --Cool Hand Luke