ARCHITECTURE: Fractal.

- - The original note follows - -

From: mauah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mr I D Bygrave)
Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Re: Fractal Architecture
Date: 6 Mar 1993 15:56:02 -0000

In article <C3EBCJ.2rH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> amn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew Noble)
writes:

>Although I find a lot of merit in the last post, I seem to disagree on one
>simple level. Simple shapes are the signature of man.

Geometric shapes are the signiture of man. Simple shapes are the signiture
of nature.
From Corbusier's "Towards a new architecture":
"Primary forms are beautiful forms because they can be
clearly appreciated.
..satisfying our eyes by their geometry and our
understanding by their mathematics;..
The great problems of modern construction must have a
geometrical solution.
Architecture is stifled by custom."

The simple (organic) forms of nature are more clearly (and deeply)
appreciated than geometrical forms. Aesthetics is not geometry,
, and understanding is not mathematics. Great problems of construction,
function and efficiency have been solved by nature, and not with
geometry. Architecture is stifled by the custom of geometrical
forms, born of their part in primitive and inefficient construction
methods.

>simple shapes exist in nature, and I'm sure that they'll exist w/o man's
>presence, but rarely do you see any other species celebrate these shapes.

And with good reason, nature is not extravagent.

>amn
>--
> _ Andrew Noble
> | |__ Dallas, Texas
>_| * | amn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>\ _/ Compuserve: 71165,412

-Ian D. Bygrave Undergradate Computer Science at University of Warwick, UK
mauah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ibygrave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"We, alone on earth, can rebel against the tyranny
of the selfish replicators"-Richard Dawkins. The Selfish Gene.