GENERAL: Environmental FAX Orgy.

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups:
alt.artcom,rec.arts.fine,rec.arts.misc,sci.environment,talk.environment
From: bgale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bob Gale)
Subject: *** ENVIRONMENTAL FAX ORGY -- Call For Participation ***
Sender: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1993 22:56:01 GMT

| ENVIRONMENTAL FAX ORGY ArtBase -- 3/7/93 |
| Global Technology & the Environment bgale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx |
| fax 612/292-0663 |
| CALL FOR PARTICIPATION PO Box 2154 |
| Please Circulate Widely St. Paul, MN, 55102 USA |

_________
MANIFESTO
150 years in development, the FAX machine has suddenly become an
ubiquitous tool in a technological society. Graphically linking
individuals and cultures around the globe, the FAX machine has
become another in a long list of human artifacts that is
simultaneously destroying and reinventing the order of nature.

Global technologies (transportation, distribution, communication,
etc.) subvert time and space as we have come known it by changing
relationships between people. Distances between individuals
collapse -- while societies are divided and fragmented. Natural
environments are destroyed -- yet new cultural landscapes are
painted. Polemically, access to these new "global" technologies is
anything but equal around the world. On the occasion of Earth Day,
April 22, ArtBase invites individuals to comment on the interaction
of various global technologies and the environments they destroy
and create.

Global technologies, such as FAX networks, are often thought of as
merely business tools. Yet, the FAX is also a new tool for media
artists and community activists. A large variety of image making
processes can be transmitted -- drawn, painted, printed,
zphotographed, xeroxed, collage, and text are all possible
source materials. Anyone with access to a FAX machine is encouraged
to participate in -- you do not have to be an "artist."

_____________________
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
* FAX submission number USA 612-292-0663
* Submissions will be accepted between 3/15/93 and 4/15/93
* Submissions accepted only via FAX
* Send your FAXES in early to avoid busy signals
* The ENVIRONMENTAL FAX ORGY is an open project.
Anyone can participate.
* Due to exhibition/documentation requirements submissions
are limited in size to a US letter page (8-1/2" x 11";
vertical or horizontal orientation).
* No entry fee is required
* Please include a cover sheet with
name
postal address
voice & FAX numbers
internet email address
25 word artist statement/biography
where you heard about this event
* Receiving FAX machine is a Sharp SFO-150 16-gray scale
* All participants with postal address will receive documentation
* Act of submission grants ArtBase permission to duplicate,
display, and distribute submissions for exhibition
and documentation
* All participants will be fully credited
* Public exhibition 4/18/93 - 5/1/93 at the
The Bad Habit Cafe, 418 St. Peter St. St. Paul, MN, 55102 USA

ArtBase netweaving for the people
bgale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx fax 612/292-0663
po box 2154, st paul, mn 55102 usa