ART: The Future of...

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.artcom
From: yunus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: future of art
Sender: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Mr News)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 93 04:36:41 GMT

In Reference to Richard Gardner's article "The New (economic) World Order and
the Future of Art.

I disagree with you vehemently as to the dominance of U.S.A. culture and art.
I aknowledge that the U.S.A. movie, television, and music industry is the
biggest in the world, I would suppose. But, if you allow me to take an
artistic standpoint, U.S.A. culture and art is pathetic and isn't really as
far ahead as you imagine, and most people do, in my personal opinion. Some
examples to support are "Three Men and a Baby", "Running Man", and more
recently "Point of no Return" (I think that's what it's called in English),
all three are direct take offs of French movies, "Trois hommes et un coufin",
I forget the one "Running man" was based on, and "Nikita". Denim jeans, where
do you think they came from? Nimes, in France. Marite Francois Girbaud (a
Frecnch clothes brand name), very popular now here in the U.S.A., were one of
the pioneers in denim clothes. Frank Sinatra's classic, "I did it my way" was
originally a tune called "Comme d'habitude" by Claude Francois. Sure you have
good chances, I would say 50%, of hearing U.S.A. music in a Taxi in Turkey,
but arabesque and Turk sanat muzik is still very strong there, and you know
what's very "in" actually there, is soppy French pop. England and Ireland are
also enormous suppliers of modern music. "Hear any japanese pop recently?"
No, but I know that thousands of U.S.A. and other kids around the world play
Japanese video games, and watch Japanese cartoons everyday.

In my opinion it is simply the closed mindedness of the U.S.A. people that
feeds the industry here, they are blind to other cultures. What has happened
is that with modern communication means, there has emerged one global art and
culture market. You can broadcast TV form any country to anywhere, CD's can
be sent to anywhere, etc... So ALL the cultures are mixing. The only thing
is that the U.S.A. isn't hardly accepting foreign cultures; instead it
assimilates them, it melts them in, and spits them back out, instead of giving
them due credit. So with this in mind, and given the overall economic
importance of the U.S.A., I don't think its market share of the world art and
culture is impressive at all. In fact, I find the poor quality of most U.S.A.
art and culture extremely disappointing, compared to what it should be
producing given its status as former world leader.