Re: POLITICS AND POSTMODERNISM

re. the connections between art and politics....I'm wondering if the
following approaches inform the discourse:

First, could it be that much of what we call art (ie., art as object...)
has to do with that which signifies meaning....according to
some...=E3ultural code. If so, then perhaps this signfication process is
the same as the signfication process by which political communication
(which is perhaps the mediation of politics) signfifies meaning....from
the same cultural code. This relationship between art, politics, and the
code would seem to have much to do with what we call design. (Design as
in to designate...) In this sense, modern design reproduces modern
culture reproduces modern politics...

Mediating (contextualizing) this relationship between art, culture, and
politics, is our concept of the object: our rules for creating
(identifying) objects (versus the greater than our perception environment
of could-be...wanna be? objects). In this sense, my use of objects begs
the question!

(J. Baudrillard wrote: "The mortal enemy of design is kitsch.")

Perhaps another way of looking at the relationship between art and
politics is to see both as the Spectacle: an object (process) that the
subject dutifully (submissively, passively) experiences. That is, the
spectator observes the art...but other than producing personal meaning,
has no part in producing. Thus, art as Spectacle reproduces the
Spectalce--political object (observer) relationship.

Comments?

Rick Freeman=09=09=09=09jeanbob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Northern Rim Project=09=09=09
Missoula, Montana=09=09=09northernrim@xxxxxxx