ART: Education.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 30-MAR-1993
10:52:34.92
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: ongoodart education

Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 15:50:45 GMT
From: Boeri Bernhard Firley <FIRLEY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ongoodart education
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, Herb.
I just felt challenged by your question about a good art education. I had
to ask it myself (and will do in future without end) as i'm becoming an
art teacher for grammarschools in Germany (hopefully).
Well i think the problem has got a least two levels. i'd like to put them
into the two basic questions:
1.What to express, and
2.How to express it.
In my experience Art teaching was mainly confined to the second question and
out came technical well done boredom in the most cases.Except when the pupils
or students had the strong urge to express something from themselves.But there
are already too many books concerned with the question of "how".But much more
interesting I consider the question how somebody comes to the desire to express
something. Therefore, I guess, he has to be particularly receptive (stil forget
my dictionary, sorry).if somebody is very "vulnerable" to certain circumstances
he might have the strong urge to express his opinion about it.If he's got
the urge, he'll find a way to express it, no doubt. So my idea of teaching art
would be to make students sensitive to their sourroundings. well, that might
hurt and that might be their sacrifice to society. They take the experience
that others couldnt make or stand. Thats why artists are so precious to society
Oh damned. sounds like a hard job (I'm just writing as ideas come to my mind)
Can't stand it my self at the moment, but it might be some stuff for discussion
Stay healthy!

Boeri