ART: NY Academy of Art. Grad School of Figurative Art.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 8-APR-1993
17:15:33.54
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: NY Academy of Figurative Art

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1993 16:13:49 -0500
From: David Ward <draw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: NY Academy of Figurative Art
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello All,
I found an article about the New york Academy's Graduate School of
Figurative Art in the 2nd/3rd quarter, 1992 vol. XXXXI No. 2-3 issue of
Sculpture Review. It talks about the figure coming back and many art students
are being rejected from top schools because their portfolio is basically
figurative and most schools don't have the teachers or the curriculum to train
figurative technique. But with the figurative art coming back, the Academy may
have to turn students away for the first time. Other figurative schools
mentioned in the article are: the National Academy of Design in N.Y., Boston
University, the Pennsylvania Academy of Art in Philadelphia, the Univ. of
Indiana at Bloomington, William and Mary in Williamsburg, SUNY at Buffalo,
and the Art Student's League in New York.
I was the one who initially put out the request for info on the
Figurative Academy. I was hoping to find someone who had been there that
could tell me about the program.
I have heard it said that the figure is passe', that it has been done
so much before. Well, I haven
have not done it, so it's new for me... right?

David Ward