ART: Craft.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Ceramic Arts Discussion List" 9-APR-1993
11:01:43.79
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: craft, art, and functionality

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1993 10:45:24 EDT
From: Chester Daniel Winowiecki <winowiec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: craft, art, and functionality
Sender: Ceramic Arts Discussion List <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tony, Joe and Linda,
Just thought I'd throw my two cents into your craft/art discussion:
I'm working on a paper on the nature of Craft/Art right now strongly based on
Bruce Metcalf's article in American craft. What I think Bruce is missing is
that, although they are very closely related, art and craft are two seperate
entities (or even better, attitudes). In my eyes, craft is much more personal
and exists in the world of everyday use and ritual. Ellen Dyssanayake calls
this "making special". Art too can be made special, but this is much more
difficult because of the lack of physicality. And more importantly, the viewer
of an art work has to see that "specialness" that the artist has created, not
their own as in a craft piece. Thus, I see the difference between art and craft
is that craft supplies the vehicle for meaning while art provides a direct link
to an artist-concieved meaning.
...but of course, I could be wrong.
A humble undergrad in your midst,
Chester Winowiecki