ART: FAX Art "Center".

From: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 9-APR-1993 15:30:49.31
To: IN%"[email protected]", IN%"artist-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx", IN%"cylinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
IN%"isast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC: IN%"keithdmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Subj: TELAESTHESIA: a FAX art installation

Date: Fri, 9 Apr 93 20:18:51 +0100
From: Keith I De Mendonca <keithdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: TELAESTHESIA: a FAX art installation
Sender: artnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: [email protected], artist-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
cylinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, isast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: keithdmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Via: UK.AC.MAILBASE; 9 APR 93 20:23:31 BST

TELAESTHESIA '93
----------------

A FAX Art Installation: Brighton, ENGLAND

"Open to all. Open all day. Open all May"

FAX number: (0273) 818352 (Great Britain)
FAX number: +44 273 818352 (rest of world)

FAXes accepted 15th April - 31st May, 1993.
Xhibition open to the public 1st - 31st May.

TELAESTHESIA: "the supposed perception of distant occurences or
objects otherwise than by the recognized senses."
(Concise Oxford dictionary)

1].... Summary

This is an international call for FAX ART: the (techno)logical successor
to mail art. Throughout May 1993, visitors to the largest Arts Festival
in England will be invited to enter an extraordinary gallery where YOU
can control both the environment AND the contents of the show, remotely,
with your local FAX machine.

We invite YOU to help decorate the gallery. Design a vertically-
repeating wallpaper pattern on a sheet of paper and FAX it to us. We
will then make several copies of the design, attach them together
and then 'hang' your strip of wallpaper in our gallery. We invite you
also to FAX other 'ornaments' for the gallery walls: clocks, decorative
plates, flying ducks - let your imagination run wild!

The theme of the Xhibition is "telaesthesia". We invite you to FAX to
us your visual interpretations of the five known human senses and/or
your experiences beyond the sixth sense. All artwork received will be
displayed in our 'newly decorated' gallery space.

-o0o-

2].... Introduction

Over the next few weeks an empty shop-unit in Brighton's
luxurious Marina complex will be converted into a huge 10,000 sq. ft.
gallery and performance space. This gallery will contain paintings,
photographs, sculptures, furniturem prints and art installations - and
it will act as the hub of all Brighton Festival "fringe" events. This
large exhibition of artwork will attract a huge audience to the Marina
each day in May, whilst live comedy, music and poetry events held in the
middle of the gallery will attract audiences into the site every evening.
created by a whole host of Brighton artists.

The Disembodied Art Gallery have secured one of only 3 enclosed rooms
inside the building in which to hold "TELAESTHESIA '93". A state-of-the-
art XEROX 7140 Laser facsimile machine will be installed, on-site
and on-line in this room 24 HOURS A DAY to receive your calls. We
invite you to test the superb print quality of this machine to its very
limits with your FAXed artwork!

This exhibition will run from 1st-31st May 1993 and will be open to the
public 12 hours a day, 7 days a week throughout that month. Guest
artists and visitors will be encouraged to use an on-site
photocopier to copy, modify and manipulate the FAX images that are
received for the show.

3].... Exhibition Themes

Our intention is for YOU to be able to control BOTH the gallery
environment AND its contents. With these aims in mind, we request two
distinct forms of FAX contributions:

i]... THE ENVIRONMENT. Help us furnish our room. Design a
vertically repeating 'wallpaper' pattern on a single
sheet of paper and then FAX it to us. Any pattern will
do so long as the bottom of the design matches with the
top of the same design. When we receive your FAX, we will
make several copies of your design on coloured paper and
then 'hang' strips of your wallpaper in the gallery.

Each strip of wallpaper will bear the name and
geographical location of its contributor.

Other FAX 'ornaments' for our room would also be very
gratefully received. Send us your images of wall-
clocks, framed pictures, decorative plates, flying ducks
and anything else that you would expect to find in a
telaesthetic living room. Let your imagination flow
thru' your FAX machine...

Contributions to the gallery ENVIRONMENT are sought at
any time between 15th April - 31st May 1993. Remember
also to send a cover sheet with your name & address if
you wish to receive documentation about this project.

ii]... TELAESTHETIC CONTENTS

FAX to us your visual interpretations of the five human
senses of touch, taste, smell, hearing and sight: turn
over your noses, FAX through your ears. Focus upon one
sense, or mingle penta-senses. Voyage beyond the sixth
sense and FAX back a snapshot to us.

We will accept both TEXTual vibrations and DIAGRAMmatic
emanations. In exchange, we will display your artwork
will encourage our gallery visitors to touch, taste,
smell, listen to, and look at your words & images.

Remember that your contributions will affect the emotions
of those who meet it. We therefore implore you to pour
your passions into your artwork so as to counteract any
'sensual no(i)se' or 'cross talk(ing)' on the telephone
line.

Contributions to the gallery's CONTENTS are sought at
any time between 15th April - 31st May 1993. Remember
also to send a cover sheet with your name & address if
you wish to receive documentation about this project.

4].... Where?

The FAX machine will be on-line 24 hours a day, from 15th April to 31st
May, 1993. It can receive standard AND fine quality (ie 16 bits/grey
scale) text and images. Remember to send a cover sheet with your name
and postal/email address if you wish to receive documentation about this
exhibition. The FAX number of the gallery is displayed below:

In Great Britain the FAX number is : (0273) 818352
>From the rest of the world, call : +44 273 818352

(where '44' is the international
dialing code for Great Britain.)

The FAX machine will be on-line 24 hours a day.

All local recipients of this message are invited to visit "TELAESTHESIA".
The installation is in:

Village Square,
Brighton Marina,
Brighton, UK

Drivers will find signs directing you to the Marina (and Newhaven) from
Brighton's town centre. Pedestrians can ride to the Marina from
Brighton railway station on the number 74 bus. A taxi ride from the town
centre to the Marina will cost approximately 4 pounds for one passenger.
Rates for a FAX journey to the exhibition will vary according to the
point of embarkation.

5].... Telaesthesia ?!

The name of the Xhibition, TELAESTHESIA, was chosen for two reasons:

FIRSTLY, we wish to explore the concept of transmitting emotions and
sensations down through the telephone cable. The word telaesthesia
suggests new avenues of sensation, as yet untapped and undiscovered.

A piece of artwork is created from emotive labor. If a copy of this
artwork at the other end of the telephone line evokes an emotional
response in a viewer that is identical to that created in the artist,
then a direct emotional link has been forged between artist and
audience: the method of communication has become transparent. In a FAX,
a copy is received at the other end of the telephone line and yet this
copy may still contain all of the emotive contents of the original. How
does the emotion travel from A to B intact?

SECONDLY, a new interpretation of the word telaesthesia may be "aesthetic
communications by telematic processes". Telemetry/telematics is the
transmission of information by electrical means. Thus, the term
may be interpreted as 'transmitted art', by fax, phone or wireless.
(Telemaesthesia would be a better, but even less pronounceable word for
this process!)

We believe that this theme is pregnant with possibilities.

Please distribute this message freely. Thank You.

Message Ends.

-o0o-