ART: ...and Craft.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Ceramic Arts Discussion List" 12-APR-1993
20:59:17.57
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: More about Art and Craft...

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1993 09:22:51 -0500
From: Forrest Snyder <forrest@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: More about Art and Craft...
Sender: Ceramic Arts Discussion List <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello, all.
I'm going to jump in on the discussion of the Bruce Metcalf article.

I thought his points were quite clear and articulate. Somehow, I read into
the article that craft = art + skill. Art doesn't require particular
mastery, but it does require a some attempt at communication. However, I
think that much of what has been called art has required that the
'end-user' be pretty sophisticated in his/her knowledge about the art,
artist, art history, current trends, etc.

Linda writes:

>or communication. I have seen very well-made work that was very empty. And
>I have seen work that perhaps lacked the finesse of great skill, but had
>wonderful heart and said a lot. The first (to me) is not art, the second
>is. In a polarized situation this is easy to define. In real life it's a lot
>of grey areas.

I definitely agree that real life is gray areas. Probably something like
99.99% gray! When I read the above, I immediately thought about the artist
who puts shiny new apples (Empire, Yellow Delicious, and Pippins for those
with an imagination) on gallery shelves and declares "THIS IS ART!" Well,
ok. It is art. But, to get it, the Joe who walks in off the street tomorrow
should be darn well informed in order to appreciate the show as anything
except a fancy produce stand...

>In the end, it's the singer, not the song. It's about THINKING, whether the
>product is realized in a traditional medium with traditional technology, or

Granted, it is about thinking. Thought not only on the part of the artist
and/or craftsman, but also on the part of the recipient. However, I think
(pun?) that craft has an advantage over art. The 'end-user' can still
appreciate the craftsmanship that went into creating the work without
knowing the tradition, current trends, etc.

That's all for now.
Forrest.

|Forrest Snyder The Northern Lights BBS |
|forrest@xxxxxxxxx Peaks Island Maine USA |