GENERAL: Dome Software.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster
Fuller's works" 14-APR-1993 12:28:05.47
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Dome software

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 11:04:44 CDT
From: "Christopher L. Weeks" <[email protected]>
Subject: Dome software
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I agree about the c code's portability.

I would like to have a GUI which allows me to define a 3-d curved surface,
either mathematically or graphically with my mouse, and after taking in some
user input detailing the degree of geodesic structuring, will produce output in
the form of plans to build from, a data file used for DKBtrace or Persistence
of Vision, and/or a wireframe graphic. Other features which would be fun to
play with might include; forming different geodesic structures from user-
defined polyhedrons, forming structures which follow different geodesic-like
rules for growth, etc...

Aside from the software, as I understand it, to form a geodesic structure from,
say a cube, you can extend the midpoint of each face of the cube so that it
lies on the surface of the sphere defined by the corners of the cube. Is it
called geodesic math when you extend points on the surface of the cube other
than the midpoint? What if you extend lines or polygons rather than points? I
see that it would cause non-triangular sides to form, has there been any
significant study of this? What's it called? It seems like many of the
structural benefits gained by "classical" geodesic structuring would be
retained by this sort of forming, but would create more intricate patterns and
shapes.

Christopher L. Weeks
c576653@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx