Diaspar Virtual Reality Network Announcement

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups:
alt.artcom,alt.education.disabled,alt.education.distance,alt.graphics,sci.comp-a
ided
From: wmiler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Wyatt Miler)
Subject: Diaspar Virtual Reality Network Announcement
Sender: usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (netnews admin account)
Date: Sat, 8 May 93 01:52:50 GMT
alt.education.distance:166 sci.comp-aided:28

Posted to the Internet by wmiler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

000108|Rob47 |041393|222615|Diaspar|News

Diaspar (tm) Virtual Reality Network
424 Glenneyre
Laguna Beach, CA 92651

Internet: diaspar.com
PCPursuit: CASAN node 376-1200 (2400); 376-1234 (9600)
Direct: Above #s at area code (714)

History:
Founded in 1991, Diaspar is a voluntary collection of dedicated individuals
which have already contributed several innovations to that area of computer
science called Virtual Reality. Computer professionals, students, educators,
authors, artists, broadcast-media personnel, lawyers and others interested
in this field have become members of Diaspar. Current membership is
approximately 500-600, operating on 27 modems.

Philosophy:
Dedicated to create quality EduTainment (Educational Entertainment) within
the next five years, for everyone at minimum costs; avoiding the mistakes
and expenses that a large corporate entity seems to entail. Individuals
become involved in those working groups which they feel need their talents
and skills. Education should be fun and the best way to learn is by sharing
information and experiences with each other. This is to be accomplished by
concentrating in three primary areas: electronic publishing, online
classrooms and realizing the ability to function through your home computer
as if you were in another reality.

Accomplishments:

> Public discussions and meetings are automatically recorded, verbatim
so that those unable to attend can 'review' the topics covered at a
later time.

> The online publication and sale of books (with the cooperation of Baen
Books Inc.) Two popular science fiction works may be purchased and
downloaded by anyone with a computer at minimum cost with corresponding
savings of time and effort, printing and distribution costs. Similar
facilities are provided for publication of poetry, music and graphic
images; all of which include automatic billing, collection and
disbursement of funds.
The publication of works of limited appeal or specialized nature
(such as teacher course material) becomes economically viable.

> The development and distribution of low-cost, low-tech stereoscopic
viewers and images.

> The creation of Vnets (Virtual Networks). These are 'daughter' systems
controlled by other system operators offering special services and
products. Two prominent examples and Virtual Reality Laboratories Inc.
which use their Vnets for business purposes. Access to these networks
are controlled entirely by the individual operators; thus, special
interests such as women's issues, men's issues and adult material
are easily accommodated.

> The creation of D-modem protocol for the transmission of graphics and
sound via computer quickly and reliably with conventional means. Bix,
Delphi, Compuserve and The Well (computer networks) have expressed
interest in adopting Dmodem protocol as their new standard. Dmodem
protocol and the source code for it will be placed in the Public Domain.

> The current linking of Diaspar with the Internet (a global network of
thousands of educational and research institutions available to millions
of users, world wide) allowing quick, easy, inexpensive connection to
Diaspar from anywhere in the world.

Ongoing Projects:

> LTM1 - Diaspar begins a new project on April 30, 1993, called the Lunar
Tele-operations Model-1. Entirely constructed through cooperative effort
and contributed material, a lunar landscape will be simulated in an eight
by sixteen foot room. This archetype will include various operating models
of vehicles and equipment which can be remotely controlled and operated by
anyone with a PC connected to Diaspar via Internet or other means. Images
generated by onboard CCD cameras will be transmitted via slow scan TV to
participants anywhere in the world. Commercial, scientific and educational
uses of this pioneer application of Virtual Reality will be further
developed by and through Diaspar.

> Dmodem (the computer program) our primary tool implementing the Dmodem
protocol, available free. (although any other computer terminal program
can be used to access Diaspar.)

> Live voice transmission and reception via computer, ideal for classroom
settings.

> The creation of a library of graphics images and sound modules; with the
distribution of the library on CDk at minimal cost to the user.
Such images can be used in a live, interactive presentation and shared
by everyone.

> The mini-networking of computers in such a way that several users can
access Diaspar using one telephone line (sharing overall usage costs).

> The creation of games (simulations) to enable learning of fundamental
principles in several fields (biology, economics etc.) emphasizing
cooperation and problem solving rather than conflict and competition.

> Various other projects have been, or will be, started shortly in
related areas as the need is realized.

Our educational area is code-named "The Intellectual Maze"; the emphasis
here is on flexibility and ease-of-use for both instructor and student.
Non traditional subjects and methods as well as the conventional classroom
and lecture environment can be explored. Facilities for assessment of
student comprehension and appropriate record keeping will be an integral
part of this aspect of Diaspar.

Contacts: wmiler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jzer0@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Internet: diaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Diaspar: David42 (VR and techie stuff)