GENERAL: PeaceNet. [Long Info]

From: IN%"[email protected]" "The BITnet/Internet scouts." 15-APR-1993
18:46:46.85
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: Internet/Bitnet

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1993 12:05:00 EDT
From: "Mouning, Greg A." <MouningGA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Internet/Bitnet
Sender: "The BITnet/Internet scouts." <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

After looking through some old files I found the following information about
Peacenet. It is about a year old so I hope it is still accuratel.

Greg Mouning
GAM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
-----------
[PeaceNet electronic brochure: 309 lines]

PEACENET:
INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS FOR
PEACE AND HUMAN RIGHTS

PeaceNet
18 De Boom Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
415-442-0220
415-546-1794 (fax)
Telex: 154205417
Internet: peacenet@xxxxxxx

"For the information we need to organize, we must turn to
PeaceNet. If you don't have a computer and modem, find someone
who does." Tony Avirgan, Investigative Journalist in Costa Rica

"Getting to know peace workers all over the world is enormously
encouraging. It is wonderful to share resources and ideas with
people I could never meet." Margaret Phillips, American Friends
Service Committee, St. Louis, MO

"I use PeaceNet to connect to other like-minded people. When I
read the alerts, I feel immediately close to what's going on.
It's a great way to build the critical mass for peaceful change."
Patrick McNamara, Global Family Tourism, England

"PeaceNet helps us link elementary and secondary schools
internationally so kids can have the opportunity to make a
meaningful contribution to the health and welfare of the planet."
Peter Copen, Yorktown Heights, NY

"The Gulf war proved that PeaceNet is invaluable in gathering
news deliberately filtered out by the establishment press."
Larry Bensky, National Affairs Correspondent, Pacifica Radio

"PeaceNet is a powerful tool for building our network of
progressive lawyers and legal workers." Debra Evenson,
President, National Lawyers Guild

DIAL LOCALLY, ACT GLOBALLY PeaceNet will let you talk, plan and
work with people in over 90 countries, all without expensive travel
and phone bills. You can truly dial locally and act globally.

INTERNATIONAL CONNECTIONS PeaceNet is a founder of the
Association for Progressive Communications (APC). With partner
networks in Nicaragua, Brazil, Australia, the United Kingdom, Canada,
Sweden, the Soviet Union and Germany (more are being planned), the APC
is world's only distributed computer network linking peace, social
change and environmental activists.

There are several ways to connect to PeaceNet. You can connect
>From over 90 countries through local phone lines and international
data networks. If you reside in one of the APC member countries,
contact that network (see list below). If you are outside these
countries, we can assist you in locating the public data network
through which you can connect to us.

INTERNET CONNECTIONS You can connect to us through Internet, the
worldwide research and education network, as "telnet cdp.igc.org"
>From unix computers, type: "rlogin cdp.igc.org l <username>"

HARNESS POWERFUL COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY PeaceNet offers the latest
networking tools for international communications and information
exchange. You can post events nationally and internationally, prepare
joint proposals, disseminate vital information and find the latest
data on everything from the arms race to Zimbabwe. PeaceNet also car-
ries a number of important alternative news sources, including Inter
Press Service, the Third World's largest news agency.

HOW ARE PEOPLE USING PEACENET?

ELECTRONIC MAIL You can use PeaceNet's electronic mail
capability to send and receive private messages to and from more than
8,000 international peace and environmental users on our partner
networks or to millions of users on other networks. Electronic mail
is quick, reliable, and easy to use. We also have an inexpensive fax
service and telex capacity.

CONFERENCES PeaceNet's "conferencing" services offer you the
latest tools in group communication and event coordination.
Geographically dispersed people can communicate inexpensively on any
subject. Whether you are administering an organization, working on a
magazine article with a co-author, or distributing an urgent action
alert, PeaceNet is an indispensable tool. Private conferences can be
set up to facilitate internal group decision-making, task-sharing
processes, or sensitive communications. Public conferences are great
for information sharing, policy discussions, newsletter distribution,
legislative alerts and news services.

INFORMATION RESOURCES PeaceNet has hundreds of public
conferences. These include events calendars, newsletters, legislative
alerts, press releases, action updates, breaking stories, calls for
support as well ongoing discussions on issues from China to economic
conversion. PeaceNet is also an access point for the USENET system of
inter-university conferences.

COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT PEACENET

WHAT EXACTLY IS PEACENET? PeaceNet is a computer communications
system helping the peace and social change communities to cooperate
more effectively and efficiently. PeaceNet is operated by the non-
profit Institute for Global Communications (IGC) in San Francisco,
California, a project of the Tides Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt
organization. By subscribing to PeaceNet, you also have access to
EcoNet (environmental issues) and ConflictNet (mediation and conflict
resolution). See descriptions of EcoNet and ConflictNet below.

DOES PEACENET REQUIRE A SPECIAL COMPUTER? No. Using a public
data network called SprintNet, you can connect to PeaceNet with
virtually any personal computer and a modem. SprintNet has local
access numbers in hundreds of U.S. and overseas cities.

DOES PEACENET CONNECT WITH OTHER NETWORKS? PeaceNet has
"gateways" connecting it to the following international systems:
ABA/net; Alternex (Brazil); AppleLink; ArpaNet; AT&T Mail; BitNet;
BIX; Red BolNet (Bolivia); CARINET; CGNet; CIGNet; ComLink (Germany);
CompuServe; ConflictNet; CONNECT; COSY; CSNet; DASNet; Dialcom;
EasyLink; EcoNet; EIES; ENVOY 100; FidoNet; Galaxy; GeoNet; GreenNet
(U.K.); GTE Mail; HandsNet; IMC; INET; Internet; JANET; MCI Mail;
MetaNet; MicroLink; NASA Mail; Nicarao (Nicaragua); NWI; Pandora
Systems; Peacenet Sweden; Pegasus (Australia); PINET; Portal; Prairie;
PsychNet; ScienceNet; San Francisco-Moscow Teleport (USSR & USA); TCN;
Telecom Gold; TeleMail; TWICS (Japan); TYMNET/OnTyme; UNDP, UNDRO,
UNINET; Unison; UUCP Mail Net; WEB (Canada); The WELL.

HOW DO I GET IN TOUCH WITH THE APC PARTNERS? For users in
Brazil, Nicaragua, Canada, Great Britain, Germany, Sweden, the USSR
and Australia (and their neighbors), you should join the APC partner
network nearest to you. If you are in another country, contact
PeaceNet for more information. We will recommend the cheapest way to
connect.

AlterNex GreenNet
c/o IBASE 25 Downham Road
Rua Vicente de Souza, 29 London N1 5AA
22.251 Rio de Janeiro RJ GREAT BRITAIN
BRAZIL +44 (71) 923 2624
phone +55 (21) 286-0348 +44 (71) 254 1102
fax +55 (21) 286-0541 email: gn!support@xxxxxxxxxxx
email: ax!suporte@xxxxxxxxxxx
Nicarao
ComLink CRIES
Moorkamp 46 Apartado 3516
D-3000 Hannover 1, Germany de la Iglesia el Carmen
+49 (511) 3503081 1 Cuadra al Lago
email:gn!oln!sysop@xxxxxxxxxxx Managua, NICARAGUA
+505 (2) 26228
FredsNaetet +505 (2) 25137
(PeaceNet Sweden) email: ni!support@xxxxxxxxxxx
Timmermansgraend 4
S-116 27 Stockholm Pegasus Networks/EarthNet
SWEDEN PO Box 424
+46 (8) 720 0001 The Epicentre
email: pns!support@xxxxxxxxxxx Border Street
Byron Bay 2481
GlasNet New South Wales
17a, Bolshaya AUSTRALIA
Cheryomuskinskaya ul. +61 (66) 85.6789
Moscow 113447 email: peg!support@xxxxxxxxxxx
USSR
+7 (95) 123 01 41 Web
email: glas!alexz@xxxxxxxxxxx 401 Richmond Street West
Suite 104
Toronto, Ontario
M5V 3A8
CANADA
+1 (416) 596-0212
email: web!support@xxxxxxxxxxx

WHO IS USING PEACENET?

Approximately eight thousand leaders, thinkers, activists, and
concerned citizens are using PeaceNet and its partner networks. Here
is a sampling of U.S. groups using PeaceNet:

American Friends Service Committee Indian Law Resource Center
American Peace Test Institute for Media Analysis
Americas Watch Institute for Peace (Hawaii)
Amnesty International USA Institute for Policy Studies
Beyond War International Assoc Against Torture
Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament Korea Information Center
Campus Watch Labor Notes
Center for Constitutional Rights Labor Resource Center
Center for Cuban Studies Latin American Institute
Center for Defense Information Meiklejohn Civil Liberties Inst.
Center for Innovative Diplomacy Mozambique Support Network
Center for US-USSR Initiatives National Lawyers Guild
Center for War/Peace Studies New York Online
Central America Resource Center Nicaragua Network
Central America Resource Network Office of the Americas
Central Amer. Historical Inst. Physicians For Soc. Responsibility
Chile Information Project Pledge of Resistance
Christic Institute Public Media Center
CISPES Pueblo To People
Council on Economic Priorities SANE/FREEZE
Educators for Soc. Responsibility SEIU
El Salvador Media Project SatelLife
Empowerment Project South Africa Now!
Esalen Soviet-American Exchange Swords To Plowshares
Friends World Com. on Consultation Tecnica
Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting The Other Americas Radio
Fellowship of Reconciliation The Other Economic Summit
Global Action Network TibetNet
Grassroots International Union for Democratic Communications
Green Committees of Correspondence Union Of Concerned Scientists
Greenpeace Veterans Peace Action Team (VPAT)
Guatemala Human Rights Commission Vietnam Veterans Against the War
Honduras Information Center War Resisters League
Human Rights Watch Washington Office on Latin America
Humanitarian Law Project Witness For Peace
WILPF
World Federalist Association

CONFERENCES ON-LINE

Here are the subject categories for the 650 conferences of the
IGC Networks: PeaceNet, EcoNet and ConflictNet. (In addition,
PeaceNet is an access point for hundreds of USENET conferences, the
inter-university conferencing network.)

Activist Resources Health
Africa Homeopathy
Air & Climate Human Rights
Beyond War Indigenous Peoples
Central & South America Labor
Community Media
Conflict Resolution Middle East
Development Military & Security
Disarmament Network Resources
East-West New Age/Spirituality
Economics Nuclear Weapons & Testing
Education & Research Pacific Rim
Energy Peace Legislation
Environment - Education Peace/Social Justice
- General Philosophy & Religion
- Legislation Politics
Europe Seas & Waters
Food & Agriculture Spanish-language
Foreign Policy Technology
Forests Toxics & Waste
Friends of the Earth United Nations
General Interest Wilderness & Wildlife
Global Action Network Women
Government Sources Youth
Greens Movement

ABOUT ECONET AND CONFLICTNET

By subscribing to PeaceNet, you also have full access to
EcoNet and Conflict.

EcoNet serves organizations and individuals who are working for
environmental preservation and sustainability. Some important issues
overed include: global warming, rainforests, legislative activities,
water quality, energy policy, toxics, and environmental education.

ConflictNet serves groups and individuals working for social
justice and conflict resolution. ConflictNet's resources include:
guidelines for choosing a neutral third party, sample case development
in conflict resolution, extensive bibliographies, legislative updates,
education materials and newsletters from around the world.

call the numbers above , OR leave e-mail to David Holleb, 72010,2434.

I will be active in the Issues Forum both answering questions, and as
the new PeaceNet <---> Compuserve network person, I will be uploading
and downloading various messages/library files to some of the above
listed conferences on PeaceNet, etc.

Internet: leeann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Lee Ann M. Sakihara
Bitnet: [email protected] U. H. Computing Center
----------
From: NETSCOUT
To: Gregory A. Mouning
Date: Monday, March 29, 1993 2:11PM

To get from Bitnet to Internet Bruce Chen suggests,
---------------------------------------
You must find a gateway between the BITNET and INTERNET. For
examples, my site is a gateway. if you want to send me a email.
You must take use of gateway such as.

Bitnet address : [email protected]
gateway IP : cycs01.ice.cycu.edu.tw

to send letter to [email protected] you must send mail to

name%abc.bitnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For a gateway, you might try relay1.uu.net, as in

name%abc.bitnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This worked for me when I was trying to get reach a gateway
from the Peachnet.

Elizabeth Cheney
echeney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx